Tuesday, November 26, 2013

God's Babylon-Battle-Ax

I read this verse several days ago in my daily reading plan.

Jer 51:20 MSG  God says, "You, Babylon, are my hammer, my weapon of war. I'll use you to smash godless nations, use you to knock kingdoms to bits.

Jer 51:20 NKJV  "You are My battle-ax and weapons of war: For with you I will break the nation in pieces; With you I will destroy kingdoms;


If we read on we see many more things that this "battle-ax" or "Babylon" does in breaking things. As I pondered this verse many things came to mind but what really got me was this simple statement/question.

"God sometimes uses our Babylon to break us."

I cannot count the times I have spent asking God, "why did this____ happen?" or "how could You let this go on?" God in His infinite wisdom knew that part of me needed to be broken, off. And I was not willing to let it go, freely. It is said of Jesus:

Luk 20:18 NKJV  Whoever falls on that stone will be broken; but on whomever it falls, it will grind him to powder."

Jesus knows how to get people’s attention! And in His sure grace Jesus did not grind me to powder, but allowed me to fall upon Him to be broken! This means that there are those times that part of us needs to be "broken" off! And He uses our “Babylon” to do it. I truly believe that He give us more than enough time to work things out and make the right choices. Though there comes that time when He disciplines His children. For we know He chastens those whom He loves Heb_12:6.

To bring this back around to Jer_51:20 Sometimes in our rebelliousness God will allow our Babylon or worldliness to bring us to our knees. He allows this so that, that which needs to be broken from our life will be, and we will return to Him in true repentance!

Question 1. What "Babylon" did God use or is using to bring about a work in your life?

Your Brother in Christ
Grace and Peace be with you
Nate Cook, Setting Captives Free Team Member

And Jesus said to me:

Eze 3:10b-11a  "...Receive into your heart all My words that I speak to you, and hear with your ears, and go, get to the captives..."

No comments:

Post a Comment